'Tis the season

So we are now fully in the midst of the Christmas season. I’ve seen the Telus Hippo commercial, the Holiday Fireplace is glowing on the television, I’ve seen Santa in the mall and we’ve received our first Christmas card. It seems every year the season gets earlier and earlier. Which makes me wonder … how soon is too soon for New Year’s Resolutions?

For the most part, I have found that people wait until after Christmas before they start proclaiming all things they will NEVER do again! Most of which are things they overdid during Christmas!

With three weeks left until the end of 2009, I’m breaking tradition and putting my resolutions out there.

A couple of my resolutions revolve around one specific event. Sunday April 25, 2010. The Times Colonist 10k Race! Now I have never run a 10k before in my life. I have no idea what the longest I’ve run at one time is. I’m guessing nowhere near 10k.

Last year the top runner finished in under 30 minutes. Not gonna happen! My goal? To not be the last on the list. I hope to finish somewhere in the middle of the 10 thousand runners. And to do that, will require me to be in better shape than I am now. I’m not in terrible shape, just not in great shape either. So to the resolutions (in no particular order) …

  1. Train. I have been doing some research and I think I’ve found a training program that will work for someone running their first 10k.
  2. Eat Healthy/Lose Weight. Probably more difficult than the training itself. I don’t think I’m the worst eater in the world but I do have my vices. As has been noted previously, slurpees being the biggest of the vices. So come the new year, my biggest struggle will be no slurpees. Funny, I can actually sense my wife’s eyes rolling right now. :) And not just slurpees, I’m going to keep all sugar intake to a bare minimum. Also to watch the rest of my diet.
The second resolution is one I have told myself over and over again. That this will be the day! And I believe myself every time. I have to. Because when I stop believing, nobody else will believe either. Yes a trifle schmaltzy but true. The difference this time is that I’m going to use this blog. You, loyal reader, will be kept up to date on all the progress and yes all the non-progress. Maybe by putting it all on virtual paper, I will keep myself on track.

There are a few more resolutions I have for the coming year …

  1. Read every day. Even if it’s just a few pages. Stop flicking endlessly through the channels looking for something to pass the time. Grab a book.
  2. Get tattoo #5. Design and placement to still be determined.
  3. Take at least 10 minutes every day to sit in silence. Kind of re-set the body. It’s going to be an extremely busy year. Take the time to slow down.
  4. See at least one DMB concert. And hopefully it’s at the Gorge!
  5. Do the Grouse Grind at least twice. And try for under 90 minutes.
  6. Hit "random article" on wikipedia at least once a day.
  7. Continue life on the "super-happy-fun-ultra-mega" budget
  8. Watch the Canucks win the Stanley Cup. Okay I have little control on this one but here’s hoping!
Like I said this is going to be a very busy year. In particular the first 4 months. Trying to train for a 10k while also working more than I ever have. Between the radio station and the return of the tax season it’s going to be tough to find the time to get everything done. The determination is there, let’s hope the follow through is as strong.

So that’s it. 3 weeks to go. But it’s not 2010 yet! These are the weeks to live it up. Yes I will reach for that Christmas baking. Yes I will stare at the tv for hours. Yes I will have seconds and thirds. Yes I will have slurpees.

Yes I will …

Eat, drink and be merry! For tomorrow …

No Response to “'Tis the season”